Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ovens Submarine

A submarine is made to sink. It's big and heavy.


An Ovens sub looks really big on the outside, but on the inside....well...
We had the opportunity to see an old World War II submarine lately.
Not just see it, but go inside. It was the Ovens Submarine.

Our tour guide trained on the Ovens after World War II which was neat
because he shared first hand what life was like on a submarine.

We walked on the interior of the submarine from one end to the other
while our tour guide educated us about each section.
I was surprised that on the inside it seemed so tight. It felt scrunched to me...
and there were so many nobs, gadgets, gauges, pipes, switches....machine stuff...everywhere! If I had to live on one of these I would have felt like I was inside of a machine! There was no getting away from all the mechanical things that lined the inner halls of the Submarine.
Here are just a few...



These are the engines. Can you tell how many there are? Do you know what they use them for? Do you know when they run them? Our tour guide informed us that they would surface in the night to recharge the batteries with the 2, 16 cylinder, diesel engines and circulate some fresh air. Aaahhh...the things we take for granted.

As our guide finished the tour of the inside of the submarine, he asked if we could imagine going out to sea for 10 weeks on an Ovens Submarine...

It was a fun and informative tour.
I am pretty certain that I would not like to spend 10 weeks on a submarine!

No comments:

Post a Comment