Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter is still here


This is our third winter here . . . but really our first.
We hadn't really seen what we call winter here. We were certain that Stavanger didn't really get winter at all. It does! This winter, we haven't been without snow since it fell heavily the week before Christmas and we haven't seen many days with the temperature above freezing, rather it has been on average, -5 degrees (celcius). It feels and looks like winter in Anchorage, just a bit warmer. The neighborhood roads are still snow packed ice roads. I've been ice picking and graveling my driveway to keep from falling down when I walk outside. We've seen ice on the fjord before, just haven't seen it on the fjord sooooo long. There are cross country ski trails through the farm fields and the sledding hills are all ice from the ongoing sledding. It's been nice to have winter for a change. Though Dave is ready for it to go . . .already. I don't think he misses winter. It would be nice to go walking again without worrying about falling down. But, it has been nice. And, it looks like winter is going to stay with us a bit longer . . . new snow fell today, adding at least a few inches to the snow we already had. I hope you are all enjoying some good winter too!





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Diane. I am really learning to enjoy the winter. I am beginning to think that it is so beautiful. I love the bright colors against the white snow, like of the sunset in your pix. It is seriously amazing. Love and miss you!
    p.s. Kate (well, all of us) had a blast skyping with Mary Alice. Kate is always wanting to talk or write to her, and give her things (like her old, used toothbrush).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful... Life is too precious not to savor even a cold wintry day...(sorry Dave).
    Love and miss you all!
    Mom/Grammie

    ReplyDelete