Thursday, January 12, 2012

Summer

While our family and home in the states enjoys the cold of winter, we get to enjoy summer. This morning, I put on sunscreen, a hat and walking shoes and I took an early morning walk with Adam and Mary Alice (they rode their bikes) before the heat of the day set in. The breeze was perfect and coolish. We had a brief stop at a park to play, then headed home to take care of a sick Eli. When we arrived home, Mary Alice decided she wanted to cool off in the pool. I asked her to wait while I dead-headed the roses. By the time I had finished the roses, it was 8:40 and feeling HOT. SO, I got on my suit and jumped in the pool with Adam and Mary Alice. Aaah. If felt so nice. We swam for awhile and then decided we'd better enjoy a real breakfast before swim lessons at 11:15. Before I cooked up breakfast, I called the doctor because Eli has been unwell for almost 2 weeks of his summer break and has not gotten better since our last visit on Saturday. Not a happy thing when your summer break is a little shorter than you are used to. Much to his dismay, I got him a second appointment just after swim.
After our breakfast, the kids got their towels, caps and goggles for swim class and we left Eli home to rest while we went to swim lessons. After lessons, we went home, and walked to the doctor's office (which is in the building just across the street from us). The doctor thinks Eli has got Glandular Flu, which is another name for Mono. Yay. That is not a good thing during summer vacation, especially your last weeks of summer vacation!!! We'll know for sure by Saturday when the lab results come back.
On a more enjoyable note, we have enjoyed the fruits, literally, of summer all day long. What a yummy, refreshing way to eat. I have not been so spoiled since living in Utah. Fresh, ripe cherries, green beans, corn, grapes, raspberries, watermellon....we haven't eaten all of these today, but we have sure been enjoying all the fresh fruits and veggies of summer for the past few weeks....especially watermelon. Cold Watermelon. Yum. We are also trying to grow our own tomatoes in the backyard. They got a late start, but I think there is still plenty of warm summer left to help them along. I can't imagine them being as good as the ones I used to eat in UT...but I can hope....
I have just turned on the air conditioner this week as it is now feeling hot. While those at home in the states (and our old home Norway) are all trying to stay warm, we are trying to stay cool and enjoying summer.
Happy January eveyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment