Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What I like about Norway

Pepperkaker
Gjenda with chocolate. My favorite cookie here...coconut flavored with milk chocolate spread on the bottom. I don't buy them anymore on purpose. l love to eat them with cold milk and they make really good s'mores!
Brown Goat Cheese (especially with pink lady apples)
Cardamom. At first, I wasn't toooo fond of this spice in a lot of the Norwegian baking, but it's actually a very sweet spice. It tastes good. They use it in their bakery rolls and vaffler and....? I'm not sure what else, but it's used a lot. Thank goodness it's not in the bread. That would be way too much.
Apple cake
Vaffler
The Yogurt - less sugar, excellent flavor. Yum
The Bread. At the grocery store. Fresh baked and yummy and there's many kinds to choose from.
The Bread Cutting Machines - just don't use them when the bread is warm.
Fresh oven baked Salmon
Eplemost - an apple cider soda made locally
Blackberries and Blueberries (Though I still think the berries are definitely better in Alaska)...and Strawberries and Raspberries
The Chocolate
Hot Chocolate - not too sweet, but rich. Yum. Reminds me of my mom's homemade hot chocolate.

Short rock fences/walls -between the farmland fields.
The farm fields all around.
Tractors on the roads.
The low sun - makes for some very pretty skies and longer sunsets...
The fjords. They are everywhere.
Bike trails. Every community needs these to get around on. They are fab. You can get anywhere on your bike or feet if you need to walk.
Riding our bikes on the bike trails.
The "Tire Park"
The beaches. When you live in a country where most of the border is surrounded by water, then there has got to be some very beautiful beaches. And there are plenty here - with lots of good sand and dunes.
The Rock. It is everywhere.
The Rain and all the raingear that we wear because of it.
Minimal bugs and no poisonous ones....that I am aware of anyway.
Exploring world war II left overs. This has been quite the history experience. The Germans were organized. It's pretty scary.
Cool air all year round. Cool air is refreshing.
Hyttes!!! We love them.
Sheep and sheep bells and baby sheep in the spring.
The Norwegians I do know. I like them. They are good people.
The flow or rhythm of the language
Budnads - especially on the 17th of May.
Candles. Mostly a wintertime thing...they add warmth and light to dark winters.
Walking. You can get to most needed places (grocery store and school, even church) on foot if you have to.
Slower traffic speeds. Americans may think this awfully annoying, but, its a safer more enjoyable way to go...enjoy the ride everyone.
Flowing traffic. Norway has traffic, but it doesn't really seem to stop....for very long anyway. Roundabouts and yielding make that happen.It's nice.
Yielding traffic - the system is basically a more cautious driving system.

No large wildlife wandering the neighborhoods (or even mountain trails). Definitely much safer. I like that. They have moose and bear, but they are not overabundant. It's just right.
Crystal clear water...everywhere....fjords, streams, rivers. I think that is mostly because of the rock the water runs over. There isn't a lot of silt or soil to carry away.
Did I mention the beautiful scenery all around us. It is beautiful. This world is beautiful and amazing. You definitely see that here everywhere.
The green. It is very green here. Life green, tree and plant green, moss green, green.
The Ocean and its many treasures. The ocean is all around us and it is awesome to visit and explore the water's edge whenever we can. And, it hasn't got any dangerous creatures lurking in it. You need to watch for the orange jelly fish, they'll sting you but they aren't lethal. The danger is the cold...
The clear jellyfish. You can hold them. They are very "jelly". Cool.
Crab fishing. Not big crabs, just little ones on the shoreline. They are fun to catch. We could show you how if you've never done it.
The Three Swords along Hafrsfjord

Ikea. There are things I like about that store. And things I don't. Dave doesn't like it at all. But I don't know how else we would have gotten by for organizing and what not...
Knit things. I'm still wanting to learn. The Norwegians are good at it...I think they are anyway.
The sweaters. There are a lot of neat sweaters here.
Ice and frost.
The sky. I know you can see it everywhere...it's just as neat here as there...but the skyline is different. I like watching the sky.
The sun in the fall and spring when it shines right into our house and warms it up. Since it is low, it shines straight in for most of the daytime. I like it.
Christmas decor - lighted stars in windows...nisse and hearts.
Felting.
Winter.
Ferries across the fjords - they are a nice rest stop during a long journey while your are still going....cool! And the kids look forward to enjoying a bacon wrapped hot dog and soft is during the ride and the wind blast if you step outside.
Our silver Volkswagen Touran. The perfect little mini, mini van.
Riding a luxury tour bus to school
ISS and all our friends and teachers there...

Cool sleds with a steering wheel, 3 skis to slide on, a brake for stopping and a retracting rope with a handle for pulling.
The Pumpkin Patch...yes, they can grow good sized pumpkins in a place as wet and cool as Norway!
The Stavanger Branch
Small cars....everywhere
Ice Cold Tap Water. It tastes good too!
Rolf, our landlord.

I know the list is a little long....but I don't want to forget all the good experiences and things Norway has given to us.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Diane, for the lovely description of a very beautiful country. I'm sure you will all miss all of these things on your list. Wonderful memories for all of you (and Grandad and I too) to cherish...Thanks again for letting us have a part in it with you.
    Love,
    Mom/Mary Sue

    ReplyDelete